What Is Your Birthstone? -- Find Them by Month, Zodiac Sign and Day of the Week
What Is Your Birthstone? -- Find Them by Month, Zodiac Sign and Day of the Week
Birthstones and their vivid colors have long been a way to connect your birth month with rare and unique gemstones. Birthstones are a fun, popular and colorful introduction to the world of gemstones.
There are countless myths and legends around the many different powers and attributes that birthstones have.
They are a meaningful gift for mom, a friend, spouse, or family member during a special occasion. But they mean much more than that as you'll find out below.
History and Origins of Birthstones
So many people will ask a question as "What is a birthstone?" Sometimes people have an idea of what their birthstone is, but they don't really know where birthstones came about and why we even have a birthstone. Do you know the origins of the birthstones?
Origins of birthstones actually date back to biblical times where the breastplate of Aaron had 12 gemstones each representing a trible of Israel.
So the story goes that the high priest had a breast plate that had 12 stones on it, and the Lord instructed Moses to engrave the names of the 12 sons of Israel on those stones.
And the Bible does specifically name the stones. It does not specifically name the order in which the sons of Israel were supposed to be engraved on it, and the thinking is that Moses probably knew which order they were supposed to be in.
So we absolutely know the 12 stones because they're named in the Bible? Not exactly, the problem is that the names of the stones are unclear.
Part of the reason for this is that the Bible has been translated, and the people translating the Bible weren't sure what those stones were, and probably just inserted stones that were familiar to them in wherever they were and in their modern time.
The original thinking was that a person would collect all 12 of these stones and that they would wear each stone during a certain month, or during that time of the zodiac.
That would amplify the stone's powers, it's healing powers or whatever that stone had whatever powers that stone had. So initially it didn't have anything to do with your own birth.
It was when you wore those stones. And ideally to be have the most powerful effect, you would own all twelve stones.
It wasn't until the 18th century that gem dealers in Poland came up with the idea of calling these birthstones and marketing the stones as birthstones so that you would get a certain stone depending on when you were born.
That's a relatively recent invention, and in 1912 the National Association of jewelers started marketing this same idea in the United States.
While the stones have largely remained the same there have been some changes and additions, and as you'll see some very recent additions. Here's the modern list of gemstones:
- January is Garnet
- February is Amethyst
- March is Aquamarine
- April is Diamond
- May is Emerald
- June is Alexandrite or Pearl
- July is Ruby
- August is Peridot
- September is Sapphire
- October is Tourmaline or Opal
- November is Topaz or Citrine
- December is Topaz, Turquoise, Zircon, and very recently Tanzanite.
Find Your Birthstones By Month and Get the Meaning Behind Them
Do you know your birthstones? What does it say about your personality? Birthstones have an impact on your personality, traits and can even change a person's fate! They are famous among people because of the vibrant colour they possess and hence can be worn as jewellery.
Whether you are looking for a birthstone as a statement jewellery piece, as a unique touch to your outfit or simply want to get benefits associated with your birthstone then this article is for you, and it is going to be sharing with you the birthstones for each month and their meanings!
January Birthstone: Garnet
For those people who are born in this month their birthstone is the Garnet. The Garnet family is one of the most complex in the gem world. It is not a single species but rather consists of several species and varieties.
Garnet comes in number of different colour including green, orange and red. Those who wear Garnet also develop a vibrant personality just like the bright and beautiful colour of this family. Some people believe that Garnets provide safety during travels.
February Birthstone: Amethyst
The birthstone for February is called Amethyst. Amethyst is known to be one of the best healer of all time. This beautiful crystal comes in different shades of purple, and is believed to be protecting the wearer from toxicity, and enables to have a sobriety of emotions. It is also known to make a person more courageous and confident!
March Birthstone: Aquamarine
The birthstone for March is Aquamarine. Aquamarine is named after the colour of seawater because of its amazing range of shades from pale to deep blue.
Those who wear Aquamarine are thought to possess calm personalities, and it is believed that it increases happiness of marriages. What is even more fascinating is that Aquamarines have been associated with certain healing powers.
April Birthstone: Diamond
Diamond is the birthstone for April. Diamond would make the perfect gift for anyone since it is being used in jewellery making for many generations. In fact, diamond are known as a girl's best friend and symbolize love and affection.
Diamond also comes in different colour but the most popular is white diamond. Diamonds represent Love and are the most coveted birthstones among all!
May Birthstone: Emerald
The birthstone of May is Emerald which is known to be one of the rarest gemstones in the world. It comes in different shades of green and just like diamond it is used to express one's love.
It also makes a nice piece of jewellery in a woman's collection. Emerald colour is known for its beauty and captures the eyes of everyone!
June Birthstone: Pearl and Alexandrite
June is one of the months with two birthstones. These two birthstones are Pearl and Alexandrite. Pearls as we known are commonly used in jewellery making for centuries.
These shimmery spheres are everyone's favourite. On the other hand Alexandrite is a colour changing stone, that is why people born in June are considered to flip easily.
July Birthstone: Ruby
The birthstone for July is Ruby. Ruby is one of the prettiest gemstone of all times and the credit goes to its beautiful deep red colour. It is quite expensive and it thought to bring good luck to the wearer.
It represents happiness, beauty and wisdom. It is also popular as a jewellery piece and adds a unique touch to your outfits.
August Birthstone: Peridot and Spinel
Like June, August also has two birthstones - Peridot and Spinel. Peridot has a beautiful lime green colour and the owner of it is believed to be possessed with strength and power.
Spinel, on the other hand, is available in different colour and it saves the wearer from any harm and gloomy feelings.
September Birthstone: Sapphire
The birthstone for September is Sapphire. It comes in a range of colour including pink yellow and green but the most famous one is blue. Sapphire's vibrant colour makes a great piece in your jewellery collection.
It is thought to represent faith and trust. Sapphire is also one of the most popular birthstones due to its amazing colour and the aura it brings.
October Birthstone: Tourmaline and Opal
October also has two birthstones - Tourmaline and Opal. Tourmaline is one of the most beautiful gemstones because it's available in variety of colour.
Similar Opal is also one of the prettiest piece of stone with beautiful colour and the owner of it is thought to be very kind and compassionate.
November Birthstone: Citrine and Topaz
November is also associated with two birthstones - Citrine and Topaz. This colour of citrine is similar to sun and is associated with soothing properties.
Where Topaz is found in a number of different colour and is one of the widely worn stone. Both of these stones are known to give strength and heal the soul.
December Birthstone: Zircon, Tanzanite and Turquoise
Last but not the least, there are three birthstones for the month of December. These are Zircon, Tanzanite and Turquoise. These gemstones are perfect for winters as they come in shade of blue thereby representing icy blue snow.
They are known to inculcate cool and relaxing feelings in the wearer. They are known to have calming properties and also give emotional stability to the wearer.
Find Your Birthstone by Zodiac Sign
Your Zodiac birthstone is more than a symbol of your astrological Sun sign. Astrological birthstones act as charms or lucky stones that enhance each Sun sign's energy bibration.
Wearing, holding, or carrying the stone associated with your Sun sign influences your Sun's strength allowing you to feel more vibrant and alive. Let's check what are the relevant birthstone for each of Zodiac Sign.
1. Aries Birthstone (Mar 21- Apr 19)
Aries are ruled by Mars and they are disposed to action and dynamic and divorce, the suggested birthstones for Aries are as below:
- Bloodstone: The power of bloodstone to bring freedom is beneficial to the robust go-getter nature of Aries.
- Diamond: It bring an Aries individual good luck, both on and off the battlefield.
- Red Jasper: It complements the dynamic Aries personality by sustaining their drive and energy all the way through the end.
- Topaz: It increases physical strength, aids in overcoming fears and protect wearer from injury.
2. Taurus Birthstone (Apr 20- May 20)
Charizard shoot individuals and hard workers who are known to be quite practical and grounded in the material world, the birthstones for Taurus as below:
- Sapphire: It brings inner peace and spiritual enlighterment and enlivens Taurus people who are inclined to move through life at a leisurely pace.
- Rose Quartz: It vibrates with the energy of love, peace, and understanding and it kindles happiness and sensuality.
- Green Aventurine: The perfect good luck charm for Taurus individuals, it brings oppotunities, relieve stress, and balances the energy of a hard-working Taurus person.
- Garnet: The talismanic birthstone for Taurus, it is believed to have magical powers that enhance strength and healing.
3. Gemini Birthstone (May 21- June 20)
Ruled by Mercury the planet of communication and intellect, the suggested astrological stones for Gemini are as below:
- Agate: It is helpful to Gemini individuals because it supports their intellegence, it also gives the often-erratic Gemini person a sense of calm and focus.
- Citrine: It improves a Gemini's clarity and brings joy to their lives.
- Tiger's Eye: It is associated with Mercury, the ruling planet of Gemini. It improves personal clarity and spiritual well-being.
- Emerland: It has the magical power to endow eloquence in speech & intelligence. And at the same time it supports emotional well-being.
4. Cancer Birthstone (June 21- July 22)
Ruled by the moon they are sensitive to their emotional environment and tenderly nurtured the people who surround them. The suggested astrological stones for Cancer are as below:
- Moonstone: Cancer is ruled by the moon and moonstone stimulates clairvoyance, cures anxiety, and brings calm and serenity all things cancer people are inclined to cherish.
- Pearls: These strengthen relationships and marriage, as well as keep children safe, all of which are very imortant for a Cancer.
- Emerals: It imparts emotional well-being, bestows emotional strength, and balances the sensitive Cancer nature.
- Sapphire: So far it lends Cancer magical power of clairvoyance, heightened senses inner peace, and his spiritual enlightenment.
5. Leo Birthstone (July 23- Aug 22)
Leos are powerful and endued with biggest personality in the strongest world of the zodiac, the suggested astrological stones for Leo are as below:
- Black Onyx: It neutralizes negative emotions and internal stresses and bewtows courage.It gives Leos larger than life personality under better self-control.
- Ruby: Rubies ar rare, precious, tough and vividly bright and bolster Leo's courage and mental powers.
- Carnelian: The stone of passion, enhances Leo's bold, courageoos, passionate and ambitious nature, and make these virtues more consistent and reliable.
- Diamond: This Leo birthstone has the magical power to protect and to bring luck and victory in all endeavors.
6. Virgo Birthstone (Aug 23- Sep 22)
Ruled by Mercury our analytical Virgo is smart and pay attention to the smallest detail, the birthstone for Virgo are as below:
- Green Aventurine: It brings soothing vibration to their mind and bodies, easies worries, and builds self-confidence in many areas of their life.
- Citrine: The planetary stone of mercury improves clarity in the often mentally active Virgo.
- Carnelian: It wards off undue pressures, brings joy and friendship, adn stimulates Virgo.
- Zircon: It bestows Virgo with peace of mind prosperity and self-love.
7. Libra Birthstone (Sep 23- Oct 22)
Ruled by Venus the planet of love, their mission in life is to create peace and harmony. The birthstones for Libra are as below:
- Peridot: It is powerful for aiding manifestation, of all the good things, including ability to manifiest love.
- Lapis Lazuli: It helps to harmonize the male-female parts of the personality and creates the balance needed in a Libra's life.
- Opal: It shields Libra from absorbing negative thoughts and energies from other people.
- Agate: It provides Libra with the magical power to see the truth.
8.Scorpio Birthstone (Oct 23- Nov 21)
Scorpios are emotionally intense psychic people who observe surrounding energy, the suggested astrological stones for Scorpio are as below:
- Apache Tears: It absorb negative energy, shield a Scorpio's aura, and protect them from negative psychic vibration.
- Acquamarine: It relieves anxiety, calms grief, dilutes feelingsof anger, and brings cheerfulness and also encourages Scorpio to be less controlling.
- Osidian: It is a grounding stone that absorbs negative energy, unburdening the deeply emotional Scorpio.
- Amethyst: Its magical power keeps Scropio self-aware and self-possessed.
9. Sagittarius Birthstone (Nov 22- Dec 21)
Ruled by Jupiter they are joyful highly incasative and pruned to excess, the suggested astrological stones for Sagittarius are as below:
- Blue Topaz: It enhaces Sagittarius's creativity and their ability to express themselves in meaningful ways.
- Turquoise: It stimulates confidence and composure, brings clarity of mind, and enhances spiritual discernment.
- Sodalite: It clears the mind, banishes negative energy, and enhances a Sagittarian's ability to set positive goals for the future.
- Beryl: It strengthens belief in God, brings cheerfulness, and chases away lasines, it also enhances a Sagittarian sympathy and sincerity.
10. Capricorn Birthstone (Dec 22- Jan 19)
Ruled by Saturn the taskmaster of the zodiac, the suggested astrological stones for Capricorn are as below:
- Ruby: They also chase away impure thoughts and preserve chastity which is necessary for maintaining Capricorn's great integrity.
- Black Tourmaline: It enhances Capricorn's sense of physicl well-being by providing an increase in physical vitality, emotional stability and intellectual acurity.
- Lapis Lazuli: It stimulates a heightened state of awareness, which keeps ambitious Capricorn objective and firmly grounded in reality.
- Black Onyx: This stone keeps Capricorn grounded and gives them better cotnrol of over themselves as they go about realizing them.
11. Aquarius Birthstone (Jan 20- Feb 18)
Aquarius are intelligent, intellectual, innovative, experimental and love meetings and mixing with others, the suggested astrological stones for Aquarius are as below:
- Garnet: It acts with lighting speed to explain an Aquarian's awareness and sparks their innovative power.
- Moss Agate: Moss agate heightens an Aquarian's ablity to make new friend and draw in new contacts.
- Sugilite: Its vibration balances the Aquarian's mind, body, and spirit, and dispesl megative emotions including anger and resentment.
- Jasper: This gemstone balances energy, stabilizes emotions, and promotes healing.
12. Pisces Birthstone (Feb 19 - Mar 20)
Pisces are selfless noted for their empathy, they are intuitive, artistic, gentle souls who are always willing to help others without hoping to get anything back. The suggested astrological stones for Pisces are as below:
- Amethyst: It is believed to chase away addictions, as well as any mental and psychological disorders.
- Aquamarine: It gives its wearer forsight, clairvoyance, and enhanced intelligence, it also relieves anxiety boost courage and brings youthful happiness.
- Clear Quartz: It strengthens the psychic powers of the already highly intuitivee Pisces.
- Ruby: It stimulates creativity and wisdom and makes the wearer capable of living in peace with enemies.
Find Your Birthstone by Day of the Week
What are the birthstones for the days of the week? The days of week were originated from Sun (Sunday), Moon (Monday), Mars (Tuesday), Mercury (Wednesday), Jupiter (Thursday), Venus (Friday) and Saturn (Saturday).
- Sunday's birthstone is Golden Topaz. Topaz is considered a "brightening" stone, lifting spirits and bringing clarity to the wearer. Sunday's birthstone symbolises consistency (as the sun rises everyday) and friendship.
- Monday's birthstones are Pearl, Quartz and Moonstone, which symbolises purity, hope, innocence and motherhood.
- Tuesday's birthstones are Red Coral and Ruby, which symbolises passion.
- Wednesday's birthstone is Amethyst, which symbolises wisdom and spirituality.
- Thursday's birthstone is Sapphire, Sapphire symbolises the sky and is believed to bring joy to the wearer. Thursday's birthstone symbolises integrity and loyalty.
- Friday's birthstone is Emerald. Emeralds represent spring and new growth, just like the green of new growth in nature. Friday's birthstone symbolises domestic harmony and wellbeing.
- Saturday's birthstone is Turquoise, which symbolises good fortune (like a bountiful harvest!).
So there you have it, what is your birthstone among the following? Tell us in comments and be sure to cleanse your stone and set an intention for how you’d like it to support you in your life.