Considering thoughtful and practical gifts for your loved ones with back pain? Why not try a new form of a natural pain relief for those back pain sufferers?
In modern life, are you stressed out or anxious about too many parts of your life? Most people will be affected by back pain at some point in their lives and need some natural treatment to relieve back pains.
For example, recent studies suggest that turmeric can help with back pain. For thousands of years, turmeric maintained prominence in Ayurvedic medicine, one of the oldest practices in the world. Besides of turmeric, there is also another new treatment is gaining momentum.
How Does Acupressure Mat Work For Back Pain -- The Essential Guide
This new treatment is named acupressure mat- the modern day “Bed of Nails” . Imagine lying down on a device that mimics a bed of nails! Mats with thousands of nail-like plastic spikes are being touted as a relaxation technique that may relieve back pain, stress, and even cure insomnia.
The Acupressure Mat allows a user to experience an acupuncture-like treatment in the comfort of their own home. So what better present to get someone struggling with daily pain. It’s practical too, just roll it out for treatment then pop it away when you’ve finished.
What is Bed Nails Acupressure Mat?
An acupressure mat, or shakti mat, or a bed of nails, is a self-applied device commonly made of a foam mattress covered in cotton sacking, embedded with hard plastic disks containing protruding spikes. But first, we should know something about acupressure.
Acupressure is often called acupuncture without the needles. Instead of needles, acupressure involves the application of manual pressure (usually with the fingertips) to specific points on the body.
Many studies suggest that this method specifically came from China. Within Eastern medicine, there is a belief in qi. Qi is considered the life energy. It has to flow efficiently throughout the body for a person to get the proper support to live a vibrant life.
According to Chinese beliefs, there are fourteen channels within the body where qi flows. Acupressure is an incredibly impactful method because it supports the consistent flow of qi. When your body feels sluggish and tired, this can also lead to other health issues.
This is why acupressure is an awesome method to consider. It serves as a proactive barrier to health issues like headaches, stomach aches, and other ailments.
Anyway, there is no consensus on how acupressure might work. Some theorize that the pressure may promote the release of natural pain-relieving chemicals in the body, called endorphins. Another theory is that the pressure may somehow influence the autonomic nervous system.
The modern acupressure mats have several thousand pointed spikes made from ABS plastic. These spikes resemble thick, blunt nails. The most popular ways to use acupressure mats is by lying on the mat, standing on it, or to roll it as a cushion to put under the neck when lying down. Depending on their needs, users can reduce the pressure at the contact points through wearing clothes.
The History of Acupressure Mat
Acupressure Mat is a daily self-care tool based on the Indian bed of nails. Contrary to popular belief, beds of nails have been used as a relaxation aid for 5,000 years.
Many believe that the acupressure mat originated from the bed of nails used by ancient gurus and yogis for healing and meditation. The bed of nails is made of an oblong piece of wood with thousands of nails embedded on it pointing upwards.
The bed of nails is a part of Indian mysticisn hundreds of years ago, but today, it used to entertain people in circuses and sideshows to demonstrate the bravery, stamina, and invulnerability of the performer towards pain.
On the other hand, science teachers use the bed of nails to demonstrate the principles of pressure. Thus the bed nails acupressure mat is just like an ancient secret for the modern world.
The modern acupressure mat was developed in Sweden, with origins in the yoga community. In August 2009 the Swedish manufacturer ShaktiMat organized a mass meeting of 3000 users in a park in Stockholm. They sat or laid down on their mats, which were arranged like sunbeams, and sang Mantras.
The event resulted in an entry in the Guinness Book of Records. Shortly afterwards, the New York Times reported on the new trend in Sweden.
Do Acupressure Mats Work?
Acupressure mats are becoming more and more popular throughout the world. This product is now widely used by different nations as an effective tool to help relieve of pain, stress and depression, as well as to help with energy revitalization and weight loss.
During my research of product reviews online, I discovered thousands of satisfied customers who had purchased these mats and had nothing but praise for them. They also do warn you that when you first lie down on the mat you may experience much discomfort during the first several minutes. It just likes a kind of beautiful torture!
As those users stated in the product reviews, the acupressure has below functions: used regularly for a long period of time, the acupressure mat may improve circulation, increase energy levels, reduce blood pressure, reduce stress and anxiety, alleviate headaches, reduce pain in the back, neck, shoulders, hips and joints, improve sleep and relieve insomnia, improve digestion, activate the parasympathetic nervous system, benefit weight loss by reducing cortisol levels, increase levels of endorphins, improve heart rate variability, improve skin complexion, provide a positive mental outlook.
Do acupressure mats really work? Maybe most of you still have such doubt.
There are plenty of people who were plagued by chronic pain. Once they started incorporating the mat into their consistent routine, they were able to experience relief, pleasure and a new way of living.
Though you will probably feel an initial pang of pain, the pain is a good type because it leads to the removal of chronic pain. If you’ve ever dealt with back pain, persistent headaches or neck pain, there’s not much you won’t do to get rid of the pain. Thankfully, using acupressure mat is a completely natural way to attack the issue.
It doesn’t involve any pain medication, tinctures or expensive treatments. It also serves as an excellent motivator to be still, relax and lie down with your thoughts. Meditation is a practice more people can benefit from if they’d actually take the time to be still with their breath.
How to Use An Acupressure Mat?
The acupressure massage mat is your new tool for daily self-care. Tension builds up in four common areas throughout the day: neck, shoulders, back, and feet.
Once you’ve purchased a mat, you can customize the way you use it since there are so many ways to use it. The most effective way is to use the shirtless so that your back gets the most stimulation possible.
Using the acupressure mat at night provides relaxation after a long day, however it is not recommended to fall asleep on the mat and neck pillow. What is more, it is not to be used by persons with a heart condition, high blood pressure, pregnant women or persons known to have sensitive skin.
Before using the acupressure mat, let’s first get some experience feeling from those people who have already enjoyed such “beautiful torture”:
10-20 seconds: The skin feels uncomfortable and prickly, and the body wants to resist.
20-40 seconds: The body starts to move blood to the area.
1-2 minutes: The skin gets warm and feels almost sunburnt.
2-4 minutes: A tingly effect begins, similar to deep heat.
4-6 minutes: Full-body restoration starts to take over.
6-20 minutes: Muscles start to feel relaxed, and tension eases; Leaving people feeling "blissed out".
20 minutes +: ... Some people have said they start to nod off to sleep.
A bed of needles may not sound appealing, but once you experience its benefits, you may not want to leave it. However, different people have different feelings while using the acupressure mat, there are some suggestions for using it gently:
1. Beginners can start by propping the mat against a chair or sofa for 10-15 minutes to get used to the feeling of the acupressure points, while still enjoying the benefits. This is a great way for beginners to experience the acupressure mat while sitting in front of the computer or television and get accustomed to the feeling of acupressure's positive effect on the body.
2. Intermediate users can start using the acupressure mat and pillow on the couch or bed while reading, meditating or watching television. Using the mat and pillow this way provides a cushioning of sorts for your back and lets you get adjusted to using your mat without putting the maximum amount of pressure on your back. It also makes time fly by as you can watch tv from your bed or couch. Suggested time for using the mat this way is 20-45 minutes. After the first 5 minutes you will feel warm, relaxing sensations in your back and neck as the body gets warm from the increased blood flow to the areas.
3. Advanced users can place the mat on a hard floor and lie directly on top while spreading your bodyweight evenly across the mat. Since the hard surface of the floor provides no cushioning effect, there is more direct acupressure point stimulation for your back causing a larger increase in circulation to the area for immediate stress and pain relief while promoting healing within the body. Suggested time for using the mat for advanced users is 45 minutes and up. The advanced method is great for users in need of relief from chronic pain.
4. Headache Relief. For the purpose of headache relief there are two ways to use your Acupressure Set. You can stand barefoot on the mat for 5 minutes initially which uses the principles of reflexology on the pressure points of your feet to help alleviate headaches while working up to 15 minutes. The second way to achieve headache relief would be to lay on your acupressure neck pillow with the back of your head to stimulate the pressure points of your scalp and alleviate tension from your head.
5. The acupressure mat and neck pillow is easy to bring along with you on all of life’s adventures. The mat is lightweight and can be rolled up to pack into your suitcase or gym bag for convenience. The small travel-friendly neck pillow helps combat headache and neck pain when you’re in the car, on a plane, or lying down in bed.
Enjoy immediate natural pain relief in your own home without the expense of a chiropractor, acupuncturist or physical therapist with the acupressure mat and pillow set. So doesn’t it sound like a perfect practical gift idea for your loved ones who are suffering back and neck pains?